lost hdmi sound for applications after 12.04 upgrade

Hi everyone,

Sound for all applications (mythtv, firefox, etc) were working fine
before I upgraded to mythbuntu 12.04.

After the upgrade, Mythtv's videos and recording are fine playing
though ALSA:hdmi:CARD-NVidia_1,DEV=3

However, since 12.04, I'm no longer able o get any sound when using
mythtv's netvideo plugin or when using firefox, vlc, etc.

If I try:

speaker-test -Dhw:1,9 -c2 I get sound through the TV speakers.

However this asound.conf doesn't work:

pcm.!default {
 type plug
 slave.pcm {
 type hw
 card 1
 device 9
 }
}

and neither does:

pcm.!default {
 type plug
 slave.pcm {
 type hw
 card 1
 device 3
 }
}

I'm really beginning to scratch my head here and don't know where else
to look. Any ideas?

aplay -l:

card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC887-VD Analog [ALC887-VD Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 1: ALC887-VD Digital [ALC887-VD Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia_1 [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

aplay -L:

null
pulse
    PulseAudio Sound Server
default
    Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
sysdefault:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
surround41:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
surround50:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
surround51:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
surround71:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
iec958:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Digital
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Digital
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Digital
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Analog
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, ALC887-VD Digital
    Hardware device with all software conversions
hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=0
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=1
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=2
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
hdmi:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    HDMI Audio Output
dmix:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dmix:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
dsnoop:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
hw:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=3
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=7
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=8
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions
plughw:CARD=NVidia_1,DEV=9
    HDA NVidia, HDMI 0
    Hardware device with all software conversions