Asus Xonar U3 USB - Optical Output - Unsettable?

Hi all,
New member here.

I just bought the Asus Xonar U3 USB product.
It has 2 connections, where one of them can have optical/SPDIF output enabled on it.

From its home page:
I/O Ports: 1 x Digital S/PDIF Output :

The device is seen in my Linux distro just fine.
Ubuntu 12.04 - Kernel 3.2.0-32

The card does NOT come default to having the optical/SPDIF turned on apparently.
(Under Windows, I plug it in, and can see the red light right away)

Alsamixer does NOT offer an option to turn the S/PDIF output at all.

However, oddly enough, it does offer an option to turn the "S/PDIF in" on.
(Which doesn't exist on this product... Are these values somehow backwards?)

I do not know much in terms of alsa and alsamixer, (as I am learning it just tonight).

Below is the snippet from lsusb -v for the input/output:

(The incorrect input)

      AudioControl Interface Descriptor:
        bLength                12
        bDescriptorType        36
        bDescriptorSubtype      2 (INPUT_TERMINAL)
        bTerminalID             4
        wTerminalType      0x0605 SPDIF interface
        bAssocTerminal          0
        bNrChannels             2
        wChannelConfig     0x0003
          Left Front (L)
          Right Front (R)
        iChannelNames           0
        iTerminal               0

There is no OUTPUT_TERMINAL for the SPDIF listed at all.

I am hoping this is just a matter of a typo where it the INPUT_TERMINAL should really have been OUTPUT_TERMINAL.

Is there any thought as to what could be going on here?
Any data I could/should send here for figuring out how to turn the S/PDIF output on?

Thank you!
cott