Re: Ticks when playing to USB DAC at high sample rates

On 28.09.2012 04:55, Jeffrey Barish wrote:
> On Fri 28 September 2012 03:06:22 Daniel Mack wrote:
>> (adding back the mailing list - please don't drop it in replies)
>
> Oops.  My bad.

>>> I am on the latest kernel, 3.2.0-31-generic
>>
>> That is not the latest kernel - we're currently close to the final
>> version of 3.6, and the snd-usb driver has seen major overhaul in the
>> last versions.
>>
>> So it would be interesting to know whether you see these effects when
>> running a kernel built from this git:
>>
>>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>>

>> Daniel
>
> You seem to have me confused with someone who knows what he's doing.  I meant
> that 3.2.0-31-generic was the latest kernel available from Ubuntu.  You're
> proposing what sounds like a worthwhile experiment considering the major
> overhaul to the snd-usb driver, but I've never upgraded a kernel except from
> deb packages, so I'm quaking in my boots just thinking about it.  Ooh, and I
> bet you're telling me that I would have to make the kernel.  More quaking.

You could as well just wait for the next ppa kernel and install that one
form the package once it's there.

  http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/

There was unfortunately one small regression in the last versions that I
just fixed, so be sure to wait for one more packaged release or even for
3.6-final.

> Out of curiousity, are you aware of any specific characteristics of the old
> snd-usb driver that could account for what I am experiencing?

No, but it would be way easier to have a look into that if it also
happens with the current version :)

Daniel