Re: Odd sound breakage in snd_hda_intel with 3.4.x and up kernels

On Fri, Aug 17, 2012 at 8:35 PM, Kevin Fenzi <kevin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
> I was hoping to report a bug on your bug tracker
> ( https://bugtrack.alsa-project.org/alsa-bug/ ) but it's been down for
> weeks, so I decided to post here. ;)
>
> I'm running into a interesting and weird sound problem with any kernel
> newer than one of the later 3.4.x ones. When I boot, sound works fine
> for about 5-15minutes, then completely disappears. I can get it back by
> rebooting again or by rmmod snd_hda_intel; modprobe snd_hda_intel.
> Then it's back for a few minutes, then gone again. When it's in this
> state, applications say they are playing sound, but nothing comes out.

Hi Kevin,

this sounds very familiar to a problem I asked about on this list a
few days ago.
http://www.mail-archive.com/alsa-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg28769.html
Unfortunately I haven't heard of any solution. My temporary fix is a script that
polls the power state of Node 0x1f and sets it back to D0 if it is in state D3.

Daniel