Multiple codecs of the same type, HDA driver, dual ALC codecs

I have been trying to get a second codec working on a computer that has two codecs - one for the front speakers, one for the rear panel line outs.  So far I haven't been able to get this working.  I received this message from the manufacturer of the board:

"R&D has determined that the ability to have selectable or dual line-out in the current hardware design is limited by Linux OS kernel. The HDA sound driver did not anticipate and did not include support for two identical audio codecs (ALC888) in a system - therefore, the 2nd codec cannot be successfully initialized. To fix this issue, the Linux kernel level sound driver (controls function) would need to be modified to cover full functional control of the 2nd codec. This modification is very challenging and involves time, risk, and potential unknown side effects - because we are talking about modifying the kernel of the Linux OS and different version of kernel may have different structures as well.   In addition – we know that the ALC888 codec has already gone end of life … so any investment in this solution may only have short term results once the codec is updated through ECOM.  We did not intend to go this route."

Could somebody tho understands this architecture let me know if what they are telling me is valid?  Right now we're stuck with a lot of hardware with dual identical ALC.  Try as I might, I have not been able to get a peep out of the back... even alsa-test selecting the maximum number of outputs doesn't work.  It APPEARS that what they are saying is true but I'd like to know how hard it *really* would be to modify alsa to, for example, give the ALCs two unique names so that alsa can distinguish between them.

Thanks in advance.

--Chris