Re: Creative X-Fi HD USB: no iec958 (un)mute control?

On 16/01/12 21:04, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
> Daniel Pocock wrote:
>> I recently bought the Creative X-Fi HD USB.  Everything seems to work
>> except that the iec958 PCM appears to be muted, and I can't find a
>> control for it.
>>
>> I've also tested the same hardware (X-Fi USB device, optical cable and
>> amplifier) connected to a Windows machine, and it worked immediately
>
> Is there a separate Windows driver for this device?  If not, or if it
> does work without this driver, please show the output of "lsusb -v"
> for this device.

Hi Clemens,

I've finally been able to get it working...

My previous sound card enabled/disabled the IEC958 S/PDIF by using a
toggle in the ALSA mixer - so I expected the X-Fi to work the same way

I've since found that it presents the IEC958 as a distinctly different
device that needs to be accessed independently.

When I put this line:

load-module module-alsa-sink device=hw:0,1

in /etc/pulse/system.pa then the IEC958 starts working.

I'm using it with kernel 2.6.39-bpo.2-amd64 and Debian's alsa-base
1.0.23+dfsg-2

Another observation I made: it seems that my system (either the device
or just the driver) was in a bad state, I was getting this error:

1116: Unable to install hw params

I was able to resolve that by detaching the USB device, unloading all
the kernel modules, and then attaching it again.  Looking in Google, I
found various other people mentioned a similar error, but I haven't seen
the error again since I got it working.

Regards,

Daniel