Creative X-Fi HD USB: no iec958 (un)mute control?

I recently bought the Creative X-Fi HD USB.  Everything seems to work
except that the iec958 PCM appears to be muted, and I can't find a
control for it.

The command `aplay -L' tells me that the device is present:

iec958:CARD=HD,DEV=0
     USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

A command such as:

~$ aplay -D plug:iec958 test.wav
Playing WAVE '/usr/share/sounds/purple/login.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little
Endian, Rate 22050 Hz, Stereo

appears to be sending output to the iec958 device, and returns without
error.  However,
- I don't hear anything.
- My amplifier reports no signal is being received on the optical port,
even while aplay is running

I've checked the amixer scontrols and controls (see below), no option
appears to be present.

I've also tested the same hardware (X-Fi USB device, optical cable and
amplifier) connected to a Windows machine, and it worked immediately, so
I don't believe there is any hardware/cable issue.  The `no signal'
light flashes on the amplifier, but becomes solid (signal present) when
Windows plays a sound.

I've attached system info below.

# using Debian squeeze amd64
$ uname -a
Linux host 2.6.32-5-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 14 09:42:28 UTC 2011 x86_64
GNU/Linux

~$ cat /proc/asound/devices
   2:        : timer
   3:        : sequencer
   4: [ 0- 2]: digital audio playback
   5: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
   6: [ 0- 1]: digital audio capture
   7: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
   8: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
   9: [ 0]   : control

~$ aplay -L
null
default:CARD=HD
     USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
     Default Audio Device
front:CARD=HD,DEV=0
     USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
     Front speakers
surround40:CARD=HD,DEV=0
     USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
surround41:CARD=HD,DEV=0
     USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
surround50:CARD=HD,DEV=0
     USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
surround51:CARD=HD,DEV=0
     USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
surround71:CARD=HD,DEV=0
     USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
iec958:CARD=HD,DEV=0
     USB Sound Blaster HD, USB Audio
     IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output

~$ amixer
Display all 298 possibilities? (y or n)
daniel@srv1:~$ amixer scontrols
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
Simple mixer control 'PCM Capture Source',0
daniel@srv1:~$ amixer scontents
Simple mixer control 'PCM',0
   Capabilities: pvolume pswitch pswitch-joined penum
   Playback channels: Front Left - Front Right
   Limits: Playback 0 - 128
   Mono:
   Front Left: Playback 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
   Front Right: Playback 0 [0%] [0.00dB] [off]
Simple mixer control 'PCM Capture Source',0
   Capabilities: enum
   Items: 'Mic' 'Line' 'Phonograph'
   Item0: 'Line'

~$ amixer contents
numid=1,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Switch'
   ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw------,values=1
   : values=off
numid=2,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Playback Volume'
   ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---R--,values=2,min=0,max=128,step=0
   : values=0,0
   | dBminmax-min=0.00dB,max=0.00dB
numid=3,iface=MIXER,name='PCM Capture Source'
   ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw------,values=1,items=3
   ; Item #0 'Mic'
   ; Item #1 'Line'
   ; Item #2 'Phonograph'