Re: Asus Xonar DS sound card

On Mon, 9 Jan 2012, Orion wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> I'm wasn't referring to the recording volume through the mic though,
> but the actual system output volume. The Mic input seems to be fine.

Ah. Sorry. Misunderstood (not sure why rereading your post)

Look at the output sliders then. Make sure that all are at maximum. The key
ones usually are the PCM and the master sliders. Also make sure they are not
muted.
  Also use a sound test file with a high volume ( the sox test gives an
amplitude about about .2)

It could be that there is a bug in the alsa driver for that card ( or more
likely that the manufacturer refused to tell the alsa developers what the
various things about the card were all about, and they had to discover them
themselves by guessing and reverse engineering.)