Re: USB Card recording problems

Ede Wolf wrote:
> I cannot record with my USB Card (Edirol UA-1EX) I anymore.
> Kernel complains about to few bandwidth, but first it did work for way
> over a year
> Kernel is 3.1.4

There was a change in 3.1.3 that was intended to fix a very old bandwidth-
related bug, but was buggy itself; it got reverted in 3.1.4.  3.1.5 has
the working version of this patch.

Your symptoms look like 3.1.3.

> and second this card is the only device connected to that port.

All devices on a bus share bandwidth.  While it is possible to have
devices with different speeds on the same bus, a lower-speed device
will eat as much bandwidth as it would on a lower-speed bus.
Furthermore, the scheduling of the translations imposes some additional
restrictions; the EHCI driver still has some bugs there.

You should have three or four buses; see lspci.  To find out which port
belongs to which bus, you have to plug something into each one in turn.

> For some reason I do have to use the usb-audio instead of the snd-ua101.

The reason might be that you do not have an UA-101 ...

> options snd-usb-audio index=3
> options snd-usb-audio index=4
> options snd-usb-audio index=3,4 vid=0x0582,0x0471 pid=0x0097,0x0010

You can have only one options line per driver.

Regards,
Clemens

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011