Problems configuring ALSA for my HDMI connection

Hello all,

I recently set up a home theater PC running Ubuntu 11.04 Natty
Narwhal. It is connected via HDMI to my Samsung receiver which
supports 5.1 output (including PCM, Dolby Digital, and DTS). However,
ALSA seems to think it is only a stereo device--sort of. If I run, for
example, "speaker-test -c6", I get audio from the front left, center,
and front right just fine, but audio from the rear left and rear right
comes out the corresponding front channels instead. If I play a test
6-channel WAV file using aplay from the command line, I get very odd
results (some channels not played at all, others on the wrong
channel), whereas if I just double-click and open it using the default
Ubuntu player, I get the front left/right/center fine with the rear
channels on the fronts, same as speaker-test. I've spent many hours on
IRC with the Pulse Audio people and haven't made any headway at all;
it's not just something silly like "did you plug your speakers in?",
so I'm getting very concerned at this point. I've attached the output
from the alsa-info script, as well as a couple of other diagnostic
results that some of the Pulse Audio people had asked for. Please let
me know if anyone has any suggestions for how I can get ALSA to
properly handle my HDMI output.

Thanks,

David