Help Regarding setting /etc/asound.conf

Hi,

I am using a linux variant, i586-linux and have the following capture hardware device:
**** List of CAPTURE Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Audio [CS5535 Audio], device 0: CS5535 Audio [CS5535 Audio]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

I will like to record from only one channel of the microphone input. When I use arecord -c1 option, it returns a high-pitched and noisy recording. I cannot figure out how to only extract 1 channel out of the 4 available channel inputs for microphones. Does anybody know how I can configure /etc/asound.conf to do that? I tried reading the documentation and use stuff like bindings, but it doesn't seem to work, giving me errors. Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jaedi