Re: Problems with eMagic Unitor8

Bruno wrote:
> I have two units of eMagic Unitor8, both Mark I (serial only) and Mark
> II (with USB). I'm able to stack them, using the Apple printer cable
> and such device works correctly (doesn't matter, which one is
> connected to a PC) under Windows XP, as well as Mac OS X (only USB
> connection is supported, both units are visible though). Right now I'm
> having two issues with Alsa regarding my Unitors:
>
> 1. When I connect the Mark II with Mark I stacked on top of it, only
> the first one is discovered.

The driver doesn't try to discover anything, it just blindly sends
the initialization SysEx for one device.

Do you have any documentation for these SysEx commands?

> I tried to use the generic serial MIDI interface with the Mark I
> connected thru properly detected Prolific USB -> serial adapter, but
> it didn't work at all.

The snd-serial-u16550 driver works only with chips compatible with the
good ol' 16550, i.e., only with motherboard and most ISA/PCI card ports.

> I tried to write a simple C program to check if the error is
> on the Perl side, but it didn't work

What exactly does "didn't work" mean?

Use SND_SEQ_OPEN_DUPLEX in snd_seq_open.
Drop the snd_seq_event_input_pending call; snd_seq_event_input
automatically waits for new events.

Regards,
Clemens