Re: static when recording from microphone

14 июля 2011, 01:32 от Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> 14 июля 2011, 01:32 от Bill Unruh <unruh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Hmm, both the static and the "hum" look very strange.
> > The static would look like dropouts except they do not go to 0, but almost
> > seem as though they are sampling some other waveform. The "hum" has half that
> > looks like a nice sine wave and half that looks like a decapitated sine wive
> > -- with a rusty sword.
> >
> > Sorry, I really have no idea what could be causing this.  Is the same thing
> > there without the microphone plugged in at all? (or with the microphone inputs
> > shorted out).
> > Not sure that either of those would be caused by alsa, although the dropouts
> > could be I guess. (Have you looked at what happens when you record in stereo
> > with the alternative channels?)
> >

> > On Wed, 13 Jul 2011, Brian Pike wrote:
> >
> > > The "static" is continuous additional noise, which I would describe as a low
> > > hum with an additional bouncing crackle.  But I've posted a 300 kilobyte
> > .wav
> > > file that I recorded in a quiet room:
> > >  http://www.unc.edu/~bapike/alsa/hum.wav
> > > and spectra here (using two different horizontal scales):
> > >  http: //www.unc.edu/~bapike/alsa/spectrum-log.png
> > >  http: //www.unc.edu/~bapike/alsa/spectrum-linear.png
> > > and a zoomed-in picture of the waveform in audacity:
> > >   http://www.unc.edu/~bapike/alsa/waveform.png
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Brian Pike

Other than spikes/bursts the half-wave sine looks like ripple from half-wave (opposed to full wave) rectifier.

It doesn't look to me as an ALSA problem, i.e. it's practically improbable to have a random SW bug that can cause such effects, and I have no reason to believe the bug is intentional :). I.e. I believe there is no ALSA bug.

To me it looks like a true electronic problem. Probably your computer power supply isn't good.

In my desktop on-board audio isn't good, though I didn't measure microphone.

For acoustic measurements I'm using a PCI card because, for example, stereo separation in capture is 20db worse in on-board audio than in the PCI card.

Regards,
  Sergei.