Re: Sound only works when X is not active.

Hi Julian,

Thanks for getting back to me — and you pitched the advice at just the
right level :).

I had a chat with ohsix in #alsa after sending this email, and he
helped me find the root cause of the problem.

The issue was that consolekit was preventing access to the sound card
because it didn't realise that it was the same "me" logged into X as
was logged in on the tty. Running ck-launch-session from inside my X
session fixed this.

I should have followed up here I found that out,

Thank you again,
Conrad