Re: Sound only works when X is not active.

Hello Conrad!
   Did you install anything new recently? Oder did you update something or
enable/not disable auto-update?
   You have both pulseAudio and ESD sound servers. I'm not really sure which
one of them is used with desktops these days, but I think, that they block
normal ALSA access as a rule. You might write a .asoundrc for your home
directory setting the special pcm device pcm.!default to a dmix plugin. This
might allow you to use your normal soundcard, even while a sound server is
using the card as well.
   did you try using a different soundcard (You seem to have three - or at
least two of them)? I don't know if mplayer supports puseAudio or ESD, not
running a desktop myself, but you could have a look at:
mplayer -ao help
   This will print out a list of all supported devices. So you could say
something like:
mplayer -ao alsa,default file
   Which would play using ALSA's default device. That's your default right now.
   OK, just looked it up on the man page, mplayer supports both ESD and
PulseAudio. Just check the manpage and experiment. To see which one is
running:
ps -ax | less
   there you can easily search for esd or pulse. I hope this wasn't
underestimating your capabilities nor overestimating them. Good luck!
   Warm regards
           Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net