Re: [SPAM] No Sound in Debian 6

A little overkill from my description.  And so forget that versioning
would alter the module sizes.  But alsa-info has the needed info.

Knoppix - Kernel 2.6.37 - alsa 1.0.23
Debian - Kernel 2.6.32 - alsa 1.0.24

Is that the way your debian came, or did you try to fix things
manually?  Just an odd versioning combo AFAIK.  The the older debian
kernel would have the newer alsa version.

Other notes.  Aside from that WTF modinfo <null>..... stuff for debian.

knoppix - Codec: SigmaTel STAC9205
debian - Codec: Conexant ID 2c06

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio
Controller (rev 02)
00:1b.0 0403: 8086:284b (rev 02)
        Subsystem: 1028:01f1

So the knoppix one is the one that works?

If so:  modprobe snd-hda-intel id=SigmaTel
???

Or add snd-hda-intel.id=SigmaTel to the kernels boot line in grub (or
lilo).  Or something like that, it's been a while.  Syntax might vary.
 And it might need to be in the kernel's .config if it's not already.
Unless you compile alsa / install the old 2.4.x way.  Beyond that your
guess is as good as mine.

Probably some alias / options line you can add to
/etc/modprobe.d/*alsa* as well, or instead of those two other ways,
that functionally do the same thing (with quirks).  Hopefully
something in there rings a bell for you.  Or else the old
alsa-project.org and doc stuff might hint towards a solution.  On the
surface it looks like debian is defaulting to a conexant codec and
failing and knoppix is defaulting to a sigmatel codec and NOT failing.
 Which is the same module / driver for all intents, so something
configuration is awry.  Or I could be wrong.

- James