Re: very low-level volume in both Debian and Ubuntu

Hello James:

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 09:59:01AM -0500, James Shatto wrote:
> The first step would be to see if it's even an ALSA issue.

I had to say first of all I'm not using Flash nor graphical mixers since I'm
a VIP - vision impaired person; sometimes I use the Orca screen reader but
my current/daily usage of Gnu/Linux OSes is command-line. Sorry if I forgot
to precise this before.

>With flash
> video (youtube) there's a speaker icon and a slider which affects the
> volume.  I recently noticed hulu had my levels way low with such an
> icon.  With mplayer there's a softvol option which might differ from
> the levels set in alsa.

Yes but you can't go louder than the maximum of volume-level, so the problem
remains.

>And of course alsamixer to actually set your
> levels.

I'm not using any alsamixer, it is not user-friendly so I prefer adding
oss-compat, libsox-fmt-all and aumix, and adjust then the volumes -v -w -W
-s at the commandline.

I'm afraid it is really an ALSA/Pulse problem: I just googled with the
keywords "ALSA+Pulse+netbook+very+low+volume+output+problem" and Google gave
me about 7 screens of results.

The reasons why I believe the problem is really an ALSA+Pulse issue are:
- one of the Google results talks about an upgrade from an Ubuntu 9.10; I've
got a volume-problem since upgrading my Ubuntu Intrepid just a few weeks
ago, but before the release of the newest / latest Natty (11.04); so if some
other people encounter the problem with the same Intel hda chip in Ubuntu
9.10 (Maverick) I had probably upgraded to the problem while I hadn't it
before ?
- from the Google results I see that the problem is not bound to one
specific distribution, that explains why the problem also occurs in the
Debian Squeeze; there is also a low level on headset, so the problem is
really bound to sound output, not to the distribution.

> technically nothing is broke and nothing needs
> fixing.  If the levels are set and maxed out and the problem persists,
> then it could be an alsa issue.

I will probably try to install a fresh Squeeze on my Hercules eCAFE; at this
moment the output-volume of my 11.04 is normal, loud is loud, maxed is quite
too loud!
The major difference with the freshly installed Debian on my EEE where I've
got Ubuntu Intrepid before is, that maxed the volumes are stil too low,
impossible to stream radio and puting your machine as background-radio.

>Although I'd extract the audio
> content being played and look at it in audacity to see if it's not
> just the content to verify the potential source.

I'm not using audacity at all since that tool is graphical.
The difference I noticed you can hear it at boot time: before the problem I
was able to hear clearly the Ubuntu tamtam at gdm login,
at this moment I hear the Espeak voice in Debian's gdm login very very far
away, it's unusable !

IMHO there is a very important crucial bug happend a few versions ago and
that causes a volume difference of 32 dB or probably much more.

>Just a power user
> here and nothing really current version wise on my end to have that
> issue or know much about it myself.  But it'd be nice to know how to
> fix it, if I do run into it.

I will continue to surf and have a look around to fix it, but I'm for sure
not the only one, please Google with the above keywords: this is a crucial
problem taht undermine for me each new planned installation of Gnu/Linux on
new potential users! How can I defend free and opensource software if the
first thing they need, sound, is not working correctly ! That's a big
moral problem for me (not sure about the English termonology, appology!).

I will feedback anyway but if some advanced guru had worked out some
solution, I will be the first but probably not the last to appreciate if
they tell us the way to resolve this!

Thanx,

Y)ellow  P)enguin