Re: vert low-level volume in both Debian and Ubuntu

The first step would be to see if it's even an ALSA issue.  With flash
video (youtube) there's a speaker icon and a slider which affects the
volume.  I recently noticed hulu had my levels way low with such an
icon.  With mplayer there's a softvol option which might differ from
the levels set in alsa.  And of course alsamixer to actually set your
levels.  Make sure those are appropriate for what you're trying to do.
 If they aren't, then technically nothing is broke and nothing needs
fixing.  If the levels are set and maxed out and the problem persists,
then it could be an alsa issue.  Although I'd extract the audio
content being played and look at it in audacity to see if it's not
just the content to verify the potential source.  Just a power user
here and nothing really current version wise on my end to have that
issue or know much about it myself.  But it'd be nice to know how to
fix it, if I do run into it.

HTH,
- James