Re: Newbie query about interfaces

Graham Dicker wrote:

> I have been recording for many years with a Yamaha digital 4 track
> recorder. I would now like to switch to using my Suse Linux minitower
> using Ardour. I am not sure though what kind of audio interface I need to
> buy. Ideally I would like to have similar capability to what I am used to
> with my 4 track i.e. up to four instruments being recorded
> simultaneously, each on to it's own track. I understand that an interface
> like the Yamaha Audiogram 6 will work but it's not clear that I will be
> able to route each instrument on to it's own track. Is that what it does?
> Or do I need something else?

The final decision, after a great deal more head-scratching over
firewire/usb/price/features, was to buy an Alesis iO2 Express. To achieve
the original objective was just too expensive so have settled for 2
channels. The iO2 works fine on Suse 11.3 with jack and Ardour, although it
took quite a lot of effort (I estimate about 5 hours messing about) to get
it recording and playing back audio. I haven't tested the MIDI yet but the
ports are visible and I anticipate no trouble there.

Cheers

Graham Dicker