Using "plughw" in .asoundrc: snd1_pcm_hw_param_get_min: Assertion `!snd_interval_empty(i)' failed.

Good evening list

I've found an .asoundrc configuration file that allows me to play a
single audio file which then outputs to two sound cards simultaneously.
This works perfectly for two of the sounds cards in my system: a HRT
Music Streamer II DAC, and a Terratec Aureon Space. For the on-board
Intel soundcard, however, this causes the following error when trying to
play an audio file with aplay:

rune@runescomp:~$ aplay /media/thesafe/musictest/gravity.wav
Playing WAVE '/media/thesafe/musictest/gravity.wav' : Signed 16 bit
Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz, Stereo
aplay: pcm_params.c:170: snd1_pcm_hw_param_get_min: Assertion `!
snd_interval_empty(i)' failed.
Aborted by signal Aborted...

I'm attaching my .asoundrc, and it is line 33:

   slaves.b.pcm "plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0"; # Intel (this doesn't work)

that causes the problem. If I change this line to use "hw:" instead of
"plughw:" it works when using aplay, but not when using a GNOME audio
player like Exaile to play audio.

Also, this command works:

aplay -D plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0 /media/thesafe/musictest/gravity.wav

It is only when I use "plughw:" in my .asoundrc that the above issue
presents itself.

I'm using ALSA 1.0.24 from the Natty Narwhal Ubuntu repositories.
#----
# .asoundrc file designed to expand 2 channels through device 'clone_output'
# to output 2 channels to multiple devices
#
# caveats : no mixed output (no crossfading, no multiple applications) also
# sync will drift between the devices (rarely do i see mine drift though)
#
# designed around a nvidia ION1 zotac board. You may need to change
# device names.
# Use aplay -l to find device numbers
#
# questions contact Loto_Bak on forums.xbmc.org
#----

#cat /proc/asound/card3/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params /proc/asound/card1/pcm0p/sub0/hw_params

pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "clone_output"
    }

pcm.clone_output {
	type plug
	slave.pcm "4channel_expander"
		}

pcm.multi_pcm_device {
        type multi;
        slaves.a.pcm "plughw:CARD=II,DEV=0"; # HRT
        slaves.a.channels 2;
        #slaves.b.pcm "plughw:CARD=T71Space,DEV=0"; # Terratec
        slaves.b.pcm "plughw:CARD=Intel,DEV=0"; # Intel
        slaves.b.channels 2;
        bindings.0.slave a;
        bindings.0.channel 0;
        bindings.1.slave a;