Re: "_snd_pcm_hw_open not defined" - ALSA plus MPlayer on ARM[AT91SAM9260]

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 08:10:32 +0200
Sergei Steshenko <steshenko_sergei@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 07:59:56 +0200 (CEST)
> Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> [snip]
> >
> > If I remember correctly, the problem is that libtool uses only one
> > target object file for both '-fPIC -DPIC' shared and static libraries. We
> > use -DPIC to determine the static build to resolve buildin "dynamic"
> > symbols. In other words, we need to determine the static mode at the
> > compile time (in gcc) which libtool does not allow. Sure, it may work for
> > other libraries which don't use the symbol tables in way as alsa-lib does.
> >
> >  						Jaroslav
> >
> > -----
> > Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>
> > Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer
> > ALSA Project, Red Hat, Inc.
> >

> So, are you talking about a bug or a feature - the latter in this case is
> documented intended behavior of 'libtool'.
>
> If it is a feature, then the bug is with ALSA team which/who decided to use
> a wrong tool ('libtool') for the job (creating both dynamic and static
> libraries).
>
> If it's a bug in 'libtool', where is ALSA team's bug report ?
>
> Thanks,
>   Sergei.

And it looks more and more like ALSA bug to me.

The two relevant points are:

1) ALSA means Advanced _Linux_ Sound Architecture, the "Linux" word means
Linux only;
2) 'libtool' is intended to abstract out complexities/nuances of library
creation on different OSes, it works on a whole lot of UNIXish systems, even
for cross-compiling and linking Windows applications, i.e. 'libtool' is
a cross-platform tool by design/construction.

So, for ALSA, i.e. for Linux only, one doesn't need 'libtool' in the first
place, and if using 'libtool' causes problems, the root cause of the problems
is the decision of ALSA team to use 'libtool'.

Regards,
  Sergei.