Re: "_snd_pcm_hw_open not defined" - ALSA plus MPlayer on ARM[AT91SAM9260]

On Thu, 31 Mar 2011, Sergei Steshenko wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 17:20:20 +0200 (CEST)
> Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2011, Dennis Borgmann wrote:
>>
>>> Then I still needed ALSA for mplayer to run on my embedded board. This
>>> is the configure line for the alsa-lib:
>>>
>>> # ./configure ...
>>> ... --enable-shared --enable-static ...
>>> # make
>>
>>> From INSTALL:
>>
>> """""
>> Compilation of static library
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> If you would like to use the static ALSA library, you need to use these
>> options for the configure script:
>>
>>          ./configure --enable-shared=no --enable-static=yes
>>
>> Unfortunately, due to bug in the libtool script, the shared and static
>> library cannot be built together.
>> """""
>>
>>  					Jaroslav
>>

> Well, I'm building a whole bunch of libs/apps (more than 300 targets) from
> sources; a lot of targets use 'libtool' and a lot of targets are built with
> _both_ static and dynamic libraries in just _one_ session.
>
> Are you sure the latest 'libtool' has this bug ? Have you filed a bug report
> against 'libtool' ?
>
> I am subscribed to 'libtool' bugs mailing list and I do not remember such
> a bug report.

If I remember correctly, the problem is that libtool uses only one
target object file for both '-fPIC -DPIC' shared and static libraries. We
use -DPIC to determine the static build to resolve buildin "dynamic"
symbols. In other words, we need to determine the static mode at the
compile time (in gcc) which libtool does not allow. Sure, it may work for
other libraries which don't use the symbol tables in way as alsa-lib does.

 						Jaroslav

-----
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@xxxxxxxx>
Linux Kernel Sound Maintainer