I am not duplex

I have a nice old GM synth (a Korg N5) connected to an E-mu 1x1 midi to
usb connector. Everything in Ubuntu 10.10 can see the E-mu and I tested
it all on another machine so I know the hardware is alright. But linux
sound apps see my E-mu as a duplex device, and will connect both inputs
and outputs to the same side. Usually it connects everything to the
synth input so I can play midi files thru it but not record from it.

After about an hour of intense clicking between Rosegarden and patchage
I found that whichever one I connect to first, input or output, the
other will connect there as well. Only once did it connect correctly and
I was able to both playback and record. Very frustrating. So how can I
tell alsa that my E-mu is not duplex and the ins and outs can't all go
to the same place? I think ubuntu must be auto selecting a module and I
need to tell it to load the better one.