Jack sensing from software possible?

Hello,

I have an acer timelinex 1830T with an:

  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                       HDA Intel at 0xd4400000 irq 41

inside.

And I have mixer controls for Master, Headphone, Speaker and PCM...
When I plug the headphones in the output switches from Speaker to Headphone.

I'd like to find out whether my headphone is plugged in or not from
software so I can
use one hotkey that will change the state of either headphone or speaker
state,
depending on which one is currently plugged in.

1) is it possible to get the jack state from software somehow?
2) if not, is it possible to modify the driver in a way that it will
output the current state
to /proc or /sys ?

Regards,
Reza