Alsamixer questions

Hi!

On my Asus X5DID laptop I have an internal microphone, a "mic in", as well as a
"line out", and of course internal speakers. The sound card is:

tmac@asus ~$ lspci -s 02:00.1 -v
02:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
	Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 1312
	Memory at faf7c000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
	Capabilities: <access denied>
	Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel

In the alsamixer "playback" section I have:

Master, Headphone, Speaker, PCM, Mic Boost, Beep, Internal Mic Boost 1

In the "recording" section I have:

Mic Boost, Capture, Capture 1, Digital, Internal Mic Boost 1

I have a couple of questions:

1) What are the "Mic Boost" and "Internal Mic Boost 1" faders doing in the
"playback section"? I have no "mic through" signal anyway, i.e. I cannot monitor
the microphone input (internal mir or mic in) in realtime without routing the
signal manually using e.g. jackd. They don't seem to be related to playback.

2) When recording using the internal mic, the "Capture" fader adjusts the
recorded level, and the "Internal mic boost 1" adjusts the boost. When recording
from the "mic in" jack, the "Capture" fader also adjusts the level, but now the
"Mic boost" adjusts the boost. At no time does the "Capture 1" affect the level
of the recorded signal, and nor does it matter if it is marked as a recording
source or not. So, what does it do/why is it there?

The "Mic Boost" and "Internal Mic Boost 1" that appear both in the playback and
recording sections seem to represent the same adjustment in the sound card. Is
it possible to have these removed from the playback section?

It should be noted that recording source seems to be automatically selected as
internal microphone or mic in according to if I'm using the "mic in" jack or
not. I never have to change any "recording source" setting.

I'm on Debian Sid with Linux 2.6.37. I've loaded snd-hda-intel with the module
options "model=auto". Alsamixer itself reports "Chip: Realtek ALC269".

Best regards
Torquil Sørensen