Hi Jim, Audiophile 2496 trials

In article <1296667342.4789.16.camel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Kevin Tough
<kevin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I would try to use direct ALSA API (without pulseaudio involved). I
saw
> some bugreports regarding pulseaudio and ICE1712 cards.

> Just type: 'aplay -D plughw:0 <some_wav_file>' (0 is card number) and
> set audio mixer properly: 'alsamixer -c 0' .

>                                                 Jaroslav

> Hi,

> I have tried this and got the message back

> Playing WAVE '/tmp/Track6.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
44100
> Hz, Stereo

> I got my prompt back after what seems like the time the wave file
would
> need to play. During this time I have not had any sound from the sound
> system.

Have you tried using -D hw:0 or other values after "hw:" instead of -D
plughw:0 ? If the card has more than one output device you may need to
also
give a second value, so use something like -D hw:0,1 instead.

What does "aplay -l" give you?

If you have installed pulse and have it running, it may have altered
things. I found this myself from having used pulse.

Slainte,

Jim

Hi Jim,

aplay -l gives me this:

*** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
	Subdevices: 1/1
	Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: M2496 [M Audio Audiophile 24/96], device 0: ICE1712 multi
[ICE1712 multi]
	Subdevices: 1/1
	Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

When I type the following command my DACs are working (Analog Outputs):
$ aplay -D plughw:1 /tmp/Track6.wav

The card number can also be M2496 or even 1,0. Now I know that the
analog outs work :-) The negative part is that the s/pdif output then
does not work.

If I drop the 'plug' in front of hw the 'Playing WAVE...' line comes and
then also 'aplay: set_params:1053: Sample format not available Available
formats: -S32_LE

If I use Vlc and with my Fedora 13 play music through the S/PDIF outputs
of the card the aplay command returns 'aplay: main:654: audio open
error: Device or resource busy.

Just in case you should ask me for some outputs from console commands is
there a quick way to copy them to the copy/paste buffer?

Namaste,
Kevin Tough