Driver problems with EDIROL UA-101

Hello,

I've been trying to use my UA-101 soundcard in my Ubuntu system with
zero to medium success for some time now.. After upgrading my system to
latest alsa a few months ago and after loading the dedicated driver
(snd-ua101), and after some tweaking of the sound.conf in
/etc/modprobe.d, the sound card was working. However connection to jack
was breaking after some random time (could be 1m to 1h) and the card was
disconnected (producing terribly loud pops in my monitors which
prevented me from using it unless absolutely necessary).

After some recent updates the driver does not load properly anymore.
Dmesg gives:
kane@xanadu:~$ dmesg|grep snd
[   13.029431] snd-ua101: probe of 1-5:1.0 failed with error -16
[   13.030083] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-ua101
[   13.302108] usbcore: registered new interface driver snd-usb-audio

The module appears in lsmod:
snd_ua101              13972  0
snd_usbmidi_lib        17413  2 snd_usb_audio,snd_ua101
snd_pcm                71475  5
snd_hda_codec_si3054,snd_usb_audio,snd_ua101,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd                    49038  19
snd_hda_codec_si3054,snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_usb_audio,snd_ua101,snd_usbmidi_lib,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_pcm,snd_seq,snd_rawmidi,snd_timer,snd_seq_device

however it is not usable and it doesn't come up on the alsa devices. Any
help on how I could debug this further (and probably make it work)? I
would really like to get this card working in linux to use the excellent
multichannel spatialisation/panning software available!

And another question, what does the queue_length driver parameter do?
Could this be related to the card disconnecting when it was still working?
kane@xanadu:~$ modinfo snd_ua101|grep parm
parm:           index:card index (array of int)
parm:           id:ID string (array of charp)
parm:           enable:enable card (array of bool)
parm:           queue_length:USB queue length in microframes, 12-30 (uint)

Regards,
Archontis