Re: hda-intel mic - very poor quality recording

On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Gustav Degreef <gustav97@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/19/2010 08:23 PM, Mark Goldstein wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 3:08 PM, Gustav Degreef <gustav97@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> The microphone works very poorly on my HP dv5t laptop with opensuse
>>> 11.3.  Sound works fine, only problem is I can not get the mic to
>>> capture normal voice.  The microphone works fine on this same machine
>>> with opensuse 11.0 (on a different partition).  The sound card is
>>> configured the same way in both OS 11 and 11.3.  I did not update alsa
>>> because it does not seem to be a driver or driver configuration problem.
>>>
>>> cat /proc/asound/version
>>> Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.22.1.
>>>
>>> cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#0     Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X
>>>
>>> The output of
>>>
>>> arecord -vv -fdat foo.wav
>>>
>>> Is an audible voice recording that is VERY crackly and HORRIBLY
>>> distorted.  So the mic is recording, but the quality is terrible.
>>>
>>> Pulseaudio is not installed.
>>>
>>> I am including my alsa-info.txt file inline.  Any help is appreciated.
>>>
>> Gustav,
>>
>> Not sure whether your problem is the same as mine, but I had no sound
>> from Mic on OS 11.3 (different codec, but also Intel HDA).
>> Eventually it turned out that something's wrong with KDE 4.4 KMix. The
>> problem got solved when I "disabled" "Capture1" instead of enabling
>> it. Alsa Mixer or Gnome mixer worked correctly for me.
>>
> Thanks, tried it but it had no effect whatsoever.  Gustav.

OK, then another question:- is it happening with different
application? I had bad Mic capturing with Skype while other
applications (e.g. audacity) worked fine. This problem was solved by
downgrading Skype from v2.1.0.81 to v2.1.0.47. (Well, it was the same
in OS 11.1 and 11.3. I did not have 11.0 on this machine.).

--
Mark Goldstein