Bad quality on debian Squeeze ARM with Sounblaster Live usb

Hello
My hardware configuration :
Linksys NSLU2 (ARM)
Soundblaster Live USB External (snd_usb_audio)

I use the NSLU2 as a jukebox with mpd since 4 years with Debian Lenny.
No problem.

This week, I installed Debian Squeeze.
The sound quality is so bad.
I used mpd and mpg321 to play mp3 files and aplay to play a wav file.

As described in the web page (http://linuxgazette.net/161/brownss.html),
I created the /etc/asound.conf :
pcm.converter {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm "hw:0,0"
    rate 48000
    channels 2
    format S16_LE
  }
}
pcm.!default converter

playing the wav file is better, but worse with the mp3 file.

I posted on the debian arm mailing list, but no answer....
Does someone have some tips to help me ?

Thanks.

David.