plughw vs hw

Hello,

I have an Acer Aspire 4736g shipped with an intel ALC888 audio card.
Am running Ubuntu 10.10 with alsa 1.0.23 and a kernel 2.6.35
I have two problems with it, but for now I'll try to focus on the
first one: internal microphone isn't working.
In fact I though it was not working at all during months. Everytime I
was trying to record anything I just got loud noise. But today I tried
speaking louder while recording and realised I could ear my voice
hidden behind the noise! Great news: the hardware part worked!
Going further in my test, I found that using plughw:0,0 as a device
for arecord make the noise diappear and gives me a very clean
recording (where hw:0,0 still gives a lot of noise)!
Unfortunately, the problem remains as most of my apps don't care about
plughw or hw, and only know about pulseaudio.

Does anybody knows how I could workaround this?