Re: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE Mic problem

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010, Grega Fajdiga wrote:

> Na 24. 11. 2010 15:35, Bill Unruh je pisal:
>
>> That is probably what is called feedback.i It says yor microphone works.
>>   Unplug your headphones/speakers.
>> Ie, turn off all output. So set both to Mic.
>> Now record. Once you have recorded Turn off the inputs. and see if there is
>> some recording. Or use something like audacity and look at the input meter.
>>

> I tried turning both on and no change, I get nothing but silence
> just as before. Also, the screeching is very loud and unbearable.
> It doesn't occur in Win 7 though.

I understand that you are making the last statement just to tell us that it is
not an unsurmountable hardware fault in the sound card. Other than that it
gives zero clues as to what might be wrong.
The screeching is almost certainly  feedback of some sort. The frequency would
give an estimate of the feedback time, although it sounds like the system is
limiting ( highly non-linear regime) in which case the relation between the
feedback frequency and the feedback time is more problematic.  So, what kind
of frequency is that screech? And when it screeches, can you record it? What
do you have plugged into the inputs and do you have speakers/headphones/...
plugged into the outputs?

You said "I tried turning both on". Since I told you to try a whole bunch of
things, that "both" has no referent.
I told you to turn ALL of the outputs off (pull all the sliders for the
outputs to zero-- ALL Every one.). Now for the inputs select the MIC for all
the inputs and push the sliders up. Plug a microphone into the input. Try
recording.
Does the recording level meter fluctate?.