Attempting to redirect (and understand) ALSA

I have reasonable (many years) experience with Linux but none with getting
ALSA to work; previously it "just worked".

My setup is a Mythtv box with Ubuntu 1010, so all software is up to date.

My main TV decoder card is a Dvico Dual Digital 4 with no inbuilt sound card.

The mobo has an onboard Realtek ALS888 which alsamixer describes as a HDA
Nvidia.  That is seen as /dev/card0 and works fine with all apps and
vanilla stereo output.

alsamixer also sees a Nvidia GT21X HDMI which it also describes as HDA
Nvidia.  This is seen as /dev/card1.  Everything on this card is turned
off as I am not using HDMI. This is my graphics card.

I also have an older Phillips SAA7134 Hybrid (Analogue/Digital) tuner card
which has an on board sound card.  alsamixer sees this as a SAA7134 Mixer
chip and describes it as SAA7134.  This is seen as /dev/card2.  The
digital (DVB-T) side of this card works fine when I include it in the
capture card list of Mythtv, video and audio.  It's the analogue side of
this that is causing me problems.

The analogue side can handle input from:
  Television (analogue)
  S-Video
  Composite 1
  Composite 2

What I am trying to do is to connect an old DVD/VHS player using Composite
2 (this appears to be what the RCA sockets feed; I think Composite 1 might
be the onboard VHF Radio decoder).  I have not had a play with the
S-Video.  When I play a DVD or VHS I get the video with no problem, but no
audio.  I can get sound by doing:
  arecord -D plughw:2,0 | aplay
but the A/V sync can be out by several seconds.  I have all of the volumes
turned up and the Line 2 CAPTURE turned on: it offers Line 1, Line 2 &
Video.  When I run the above command line then
/proc/asound/card2/pcm0c/sub0/{hw_params,status,sw_params} all show valid
values, but otherwise they show "closed", when there is no sound.

I notice that this decoder card has 2 sockets, one marked Sound Out, the
other CD In.  The latter is identical to the socket on most CD players,
but the former is white, smaller, with no indication of the correct
pinout.  Do I need to connect a cable between this Sound Out and the CD In
on the mobo, or should the connect be through the PCI bus?

What about the .asoundrc file.  Do I need to do anything there, but what?

--
Howard
LANNet Computing Associates <http://lannet.com.au>