Configure mic input for 8000 Hz on Debian testing

Hello

When using VoIP software like sflphone on Debian (stable, or what I'm
running now, testing), on many laptops (with e.g. Intel Corporation
N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller) the microfone input
is measured 8000 times per second without doing proper low pass
filtering in advance (either in hardware or in software), resulting in
bad sound quality. I'm running stock Debian with plain ALSA, no
pulseaudio. Is this a misconfiguration issue that can be solved
through proper configuration? Where should I go with this? I can code
C, so if you can tell me which part is at fault, I may even try to fix
it there.

Thanks
Christian.