Using ALSA with two sound cards

Dear list, greetings from Brazil. Hope you guys are fine wherever you are.

I've recently switched from Windows to Linux. In fact this transition
had a so called 'long run', because I won a laptop and did'nt want to go
Windows 7. So I've put Ubuntu to the test. The 9.10 wasn't that good,
but soon came 10.04 and got me convicted. But since I have a plan on
working with music using the computer as well, I decided to rely on
Linux for  my desktop dayly tasks. Here's my situation:

My machine is an Athlon X2-4000, mother board Asus m2n-SLI, with 2GB of
RAM. I have two sound cards, the on-board PnP Audio device and an
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496 (indexed as 1 and 0, respectively). Both
pretty well recognized, despite the fact that Pulse just recognized the
analog outputs from the PnP Audio Device. But pulse was purged, so
nevermind. At least GStreamer with ALSA   can grab output from both the
boards, and Orca (a screen reader for the blind) works better with ALSA
anyway.

What I'm trying to do is to make ALSA rout all the sound output, speech,
system sounds, flash and etc, to the PnP Audio Device, so the M-Audio
Audiophile can be reserved for applications that work with JACK, like
Ardour, which I'm about to test. Also I could use the M-audio to listen
to music with Rhythmbox as well, but my main purpose is to leave the
Audiophile for JACK's exclusive access.

I know that '.asoundrc' was the beast in this sircumstance for a moment,
but now it appears to be dropped on recent versions of Ubuntu. For now I
won't touch any setting until I come to a simple and conclusive
solution. Any advice on this matter will be very, very appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all the support.

Warm regards,

Edu Camargo.