S/PDIF of ALC892 not working

Hi,

I have a mainboard with ALC892 HD audio soundchip and two S/PDIF outputs (digital and optical). I'm using the standard Alsa drivers of Fedora 13 which are version 1.0.22.1 (but using the latest stable kernel from kernel.org also does not help).

aplay -l gives me the following information:

**** Liste der Hardware-Geräte (PLAYBACK) ****
Karte 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], Gerät 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
Sub-Geräte: 1/1
Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0
Karte 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], Gerät 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
Sub-Geräte: 1/1
Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0
Karte 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], Gerät 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
Sub-Geräte: 1/1
Sub-Gerät #0: subdevice #0

and cat /proc/asound/devices the following:

2: : timer
3: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
4: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
5: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
6: [ 0- 3]: hardware dependent
7: [ 0] : control
8: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
9: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
10: [ 1] : contro

But when I try to send some data to the device hw:0,1 or hw:0,0 I do not get anything on the S/PDIF connectors. Especially the optical output does not get a signal, I do not see any light here. Within the alsamixer both outputs ane unmuted.

What could be the reason for this? Do I have to unlock/enable the S/PDIFs somehow?

Mike