HDA Intel headphone jack sense

Headphone jack sense isn't working: if I plug in the headphones, no
sound comes through the headphones; sound just continues to come
through the speakers.

I'm using snd-hda-intel. My codecs are called "Realtek ALC889" and
"Intel IbexPeak HDMI". It's integrated audio on Intel DH57JG
motherboard. (NOT a laptop.)

I am using model=intel-alc889a when loading the module.

Perhaps most importantly, the headphone jack sense *has worked* on two
or three different occasions, but I cannot reproduce the behavior
reliably. I am hoping there is some magic constellation of settings
that will make it work, and I just need to find them again.

I am willing to put in some time and effort here. I'm frankly still
feeling happy that I am getting sound at all :) Fixing the headphone
jack sense would be extra nice. I am looking for suggestions of what
to do, but also pointers on how to go about debugging in detail.