Re: S/PDIF Volume

Thor Kristoffersen <thorkr@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Gerry Brown <gerry@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> Thor, If you want to control the volume on the S/PDIF output, you can
>> use the softvol plugin.
>>
>> http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/How_to_use_softvol_to_control_the_master_volume
>
> Yes, I'm aware of the softvol plugin, and I'm not saying that
> bit-exactness is a disqualifying feature of those cards.  I'm just
> trying to keep the number of workarounds in my system to a minimum; I've
> got too many of them already. :-)
>
> I never understood the need for bit-exactness anyway.  With 24 bits of
> resolution it seems like a requirement based more on neurosis than
> reality.  At least there could be an option to enable or disable it.

A bit-exact stage is one you need not worry about.

IEEE floating point arithmetic dictates the "round to even" rounding
rule that seems somewhat weird, but gives the amazing property that
(a+b)-b = (((a+b)-b)+b)-b
That is: while floating point does not allow you to add and subtract the
same number with a net change of zero, the result will not further
deteriorate under the same operation.

This choice to round towards more robust values as a tie-breaker pays
off for longer calculations.

It is also important to be able to check processing chains for
equivalence/correctness: if they lead to bit-exact results, this check
is easy.

--
David Kastrup