RME Hammerfall DSP and Pulseaudio problems (was: Making xruns go away on Ubuntu (Lucid))

In my quest to get audio going well, I've finally figured out that the
problem with Pulseaudio and the Hammerfall requiring the use of
Pulseaudio's tsched=0 setting goes away if one does the following before
starting Pulseaudio:

    amixer -D hw:DSP cset 'name=Precise Pointer' 1

Now I have a bit of a hard time understanding why there is a control
"Precise Pointer" in the first place that causes applications (or in
this case the Pulseaudio server) to barf in its default setting of 0.
In fact, even when using Pulseaudio with the workaround tsched=0 in this
default setting, Video playback (at least of Flash videos) is hampered
by occasional wraparound warble.

Can anybody shed any light on what this control and its default setting
are actually intended for?  Why is it a good idea to have it at all?
Does it violation some interface guarantees, or is Pulseaudio relying on
behavior that is not actually guaranteed?

Thanks for any insights,

--
David Kastrup