Card sequence (hardware numbering)

Hello1
   In a system, where cards are just found by the system, is there a way, to
actually configure a persistent numbering of cards? My friend is running
Debian Lenny and cards are discovered by, what ever finds them. But now his
card numbers were changed this morning, which caused some confusion. There are
some scripts, which rely on the cards, being where they are. (I can only do it
from the software side, since I'm blind, so BIOS is out of the question).
   He has two PCI cards, one onboard and an M-Audio Delta 1010 LT. Any ideas?
   Thanks and kind regards
           Julien

--------

http://ltsb.sourceforge.net