Re: spdif and iec958 using wrong device (ck804, intel8x0)

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 8:31 AM, Niels Mayer <nielsmayer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Gustaf Johansson <gustaf.j@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I get no audio when using digital out from my Nvidia nf4 CK804 ALC850 chip.
>> The card is listed as 2 devices, analog using the first and digital the second.
>> However i never get audio when playing using the second device.
>>
>> Ports spdif and iec958 is using the 2nd device (Hardware PCM card 0
>> 'NVidia CK804' device 2 subdevice 0), resulting in no audio.
>>
>> If i play using <aplay -D plughw:0,0 -vv Noise.wav> or <aplay -D
>> hw:0,0 -vv ac3.wav> i get audio though.
>>
>> Is this a driver bug?
>
> It might be a  bug combined with a motherboard bug ( ? ).
>
> I solved a similar problem on an NVidia based mobo by ASUS. The SPDIF
> header on the motherboard was getting the output sent to device,
> rather than the toslink port at the back of the computer, which
> remained dark, perhaps because ALSA was treating it as an input. Your
> situation could be that, or that you're talking to the HDMI audio
> device (?).
>
> Perhaps this is relevant (see links).
>
> --- CUT ---
>
> -- Niels
> http://nielsmayer.com

Thanks for the reply Niels,

I do not have any hdmi port on this mobo so that is not the case.
I still believe it to be a driver issue (i read on alsa bugtrack that
since nvidia apparently hasnt released specs the driver is a
"guesswork").

I think that if i could just get the iec958 and spdif ports to use
hw:0,0 instead of hw:0,2 everything would be fine, but i have no idea
of how to do that.

It might be that the S/PDIF pinheader connector on the mobo gets the
output, too bad i dont have a connector to test that with, the manual
says its only for optical though i suppose coax would work ok as well?

BR Gustaf