Recording from S/PDIF in surround with Intel HDA

Hello,

I've just bought a new motherboard with an S/PDIF input bracket and
have decided to ditch my ageing Audigy Drive because that's all I was
using it for.

With the Audigy, I simply had to plug the cable in and adjust the
volume with alsamixer. I gather the Audigy does a lot behind the scenes
to make this work but I was hoping that it would still somehow be
possible with this new board. As I suspected, piping arecord to aplay
like so does the trick.

arecord -Diec958 -f S16_LE -r 44100 -c 2 | aplay

However! This only gives me stereo. The board is capable of 7.1 but if
I change "-c 2" to any other number, it gives me this error.

Recording WAVE 'stdin' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 44100 Hz,
Channels 6 arecord: set_params:1059: Channels count non available
aplay: playback:2372: read error

This is very disappointing. I have tried to ensure that the source
material is 5.1 but this makes no difference. My TV, which is providing
the input, has an option for PCM or Dolby Digital. I guess I want PCM
but this doesn't seem to make any difference either.

I really don't want to have to fork out for a home cinema system and/or
digital speakers. Surely this should work?

Cheers,
James