No microphones capturing with ALC883: driver issue or faulty hardware?

Hello,

The problem started in February of this year on OpenSuse, then I switched to Kubuntu and it persists. The output of alsa-info.sh is on http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=69f799a0539ed91e94fed85f3c41444d0a131868

The issue is that the microphones are not capturing, either the laptop-integrated one or the external one connected via a jack. Of course, I have tried the two different channels in the mixer. I saw the problem with skype, then I tried audacity, and finally I tried arecord (no success in either). For one of the two channels the recording looks blank, for the other there is a noise as a TV out of channel (and yes, I spoke alternately on both microphones when trying to record :-), and yes, the captures in the mixer are on and at maximum level :-) ).

I thought it was a Linux problem, but a weak ago I restarted in Windows Vista, and I had the same problem! (the Realtek drivers were installed). Should I then conclude that the hardware is now faulty? Before February 2010, I could speak on skype in Linux (with some tweaking, true :-) ), I had not used Windows from long ago so I do not remember. But, if it is a fault in the hardware, isn't it too much coincidence that both microphones have stopped working at the same time?

Can an expert :-) kindly have a look to the output of alsa-info.sh (linked above) and give any hint?

Thank you very much in advance,

David
PS: May I ask you to Cc to me any replies? Thank you.