Re: HDMI audio with NVIDIA NVS 3100M

From: Jakub Schmidtke <sjakub@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  HDMI audio with NVIDIA NVS 3100M
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 02:36:46 -0400

> So you got it working, right?

Yes.

> Did you use the alsa that is included with the kernel or downloaded
> it separately?

The one included in the 2.6.35-rc1-00350-ged8319e kernel.

> Have you used any module options for snd-hda-intel module?

No module options. As a matter of fact I did not use any modules. I
have all the drivers I need compiled into the kernel and use no
specific parameters when booting the kernel. However, using modules
should of course work as well.

> What does your alsamixer say about available outputs?

Alsamixer sees four S/PDIF outputs for the HD NVidia interface and the
Nvidia GT21x HDMI chip,

> And aplay -l?

zotac linux # aplay -l
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC888 Analog [ALC888 Analog]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC888 Digital [ALC888 Digital]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: NVIDIA HDMI [NVIDIA HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Also my ~/.asoundrc to select HDMI as default:

pcm.!default {
        type asym
        playback.pcm {
                type plug
                slave.pcm "hw:1,3"
        }
}

Note: I posted my previous message from an email address different
from the one I'm registered at alsa-user, hence it needs moderator
approval prior to be accepted. Most alsa-user subscribers will most
likely see this message prior to the original.

//Petter