Re: Force-enabling a video mode breaks HDMI audio on Intel DG45FC

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 05:04:37AM +0800, David Härdeman wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 10:07:59PM +0800, Wu Fengguang wrote:

> >> yeah, I think that won't setup the audio enable bit on HDMI port
> >> properly, as drm/i915 driver checks EDID block for real HDMI sink
> >> device, and only in that case it will enable audio, ignore other case
> >> like DVI.
> >
> > Maybe could allow users to manually set/unset that bit.
>
> Yes please? :)
>
> > David, you may check the intel_audio_dump tool in
> >
> >         git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/app/intel-gpu-tools
> >
> > It will show whether your SDVO_AUDIO_ENABLE bit is set (grep for
> > "Audio_Output_Enable" or "audio enabled").
> >
> > If unset, you can trivially set the bit with
> > intel_reg_read/intel_reg_write.
> > (I'm not sure if this will magically make audio work though.)
>
> I tried manually changing the SDVOB bits, and it temporarily enabled
> audio (until I changed from one video clip to another). There's also
> other bits that differ so I guess that the channel mapping etc might be
> messed up.

It seems that besides the SDVOB audio enabled bit, the ALSA driver
thinks that there are no HDMI monitor attached. This can be verified
with
        $ head -1 /proc/asound/card0/eld\#1.0
        monitor_present         0

You may try manually setting it

        # echo monitor_present 1 > /proc/asound/card0/eld\#1.0

> Attached is the output from intel_audio_dump with working audio (without
> forced KMS mode) and without (with forced KMS mode). The diff between
> them is:

If the above trick does not work, would you please post the dmesg and
intel_audio_dump output in forced KMS mode for the first clip (with
sound) and second clip (silence again)?

Thanks,
Fengguang