Re: Visually-disabled cannot use aplay

On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 9:29 AM, Paul Menzel <paulepanter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please keep the threading and reply to your own messages.

Am Montag, den 31.05.2010, 09:15 -0600 schrieb Yan Mo:
> Why can't aplay be used as root on a system with PulseAudio on it? Its
> unusual that something like this works for users but not root. This is
> a serious issue with both Ubuntu 9.10 and Fedora 12 where one cannot
> even uninstall PulseAudio without damaging the system!

As far as I know all distributions make the assumptions that root is
just used for administrative duties. Otherwise it is a security issue
and I guess PulseAudio is doing the same.

I think you can configure PulseAudio to run as root. You should look it
up in its Wiki [1] or in its manual pages.

If you still have questions please contact pulseaudio-discuss or contact
your distribution support forums and leave a reference here.

If I were you I would describe my use case a little more in depths. That
means why do you want to run `aplay` as root.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://pulseaudio.org/

Why one should anyone have to "configure PulseAudio as root" if ALSA is the official Linux Sound Architecture?

Lowering the nice-level to keep aplay from stuttering under the load of the system would presumably be one of the "administrative duties"?

In the case of aplay app, it should always work directly with the system, given that is included with most distros. There is no need for anyone to have it installed, nor some 7 unrelated dependent libraries like mplayer does, particularly if one has little or no connection to the internet...