Re: Visually-disabled cannot use aplay

Please keep the threading and reply to your own messages.

Am Montag, den 31.05.2010, 09:15 -0600 schrieb Yan Mo:
> Why can't aplay be used as root on a system with PulseAudio on it? Its
> unusual that something like this works for users but not root. This is
> a serious issue with both Ubuntu 9.10 and Fedora 12 where one cannot
> even uninstall PulseAudio without damaging the system!

As far as I know all distributions make the assumptions that root is
just used for administrative duties. Otherwise it is a security issue
and I guess PulseAudio is doing the same.

I think you can configure PulseAudio to run as root. You should look it
up in its Wiki [1] or in its manual pages.

If you still have questions please contact pulseaudio-discuss or contact
your distribution support forums and leave a reference here.

If I were you I would describe my use case a little more in depths. That
means why do you want to run `aplay` as root.

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://pulseaudio.org/