NVidia ION2: no sound on HDMI

I can't get any sound over HDMI from my ION2 based system. I have the
sound drivers compiled into the kernel. Everything seem ok, but I get
no sound other than through the analog Intel device (front jack).

Here's some output from lspci

00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
        Subsystem: ZOTAC International (MCO) Ltd. Device a140
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation GT218 [ION] (rev a2)
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Device 3100
        Kernel driver in use: nvidia
        Kernel modules: nvidia
03:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
        Subsystem: PC Partner Limited Device 3100
        Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel

This is a git compiled kernel on a Gentoo system:

# uname -vspor
Linux 2.6.34-rc7-00106-g6a251b0 #2 SMP Sun May 16 11:53:12 CEST 2010 Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D510 @ 1.66GHz GNU/Linux

I can see the devices using either aplay -L or by looking at proc.

# cat /proc/asound/version
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.22.1.

# aplay -L
default:CARD=Intel
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround41:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround50:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround51:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
surround71:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Analog
iec958:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
    HDA Intel, ALC888 Digital
    IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
null
hdmi:CARD=NVidia
    HDA NVidia, NVIDIA HDMI
    HDMI Audio Output

 # cat /proc/asound/devices
  0: [ 0]   : control
  6: [ 0- 2]: hardware dependent
 16: [ 0- 0]: digital audio playback
 17: [ 0- 1]: digital audio playback
 24: [ 0- 0]: digital audio capture
 32: [ 1]   : control
 33:        : timer
 36: [ 1- 0]: hardware dependent
 37: [ 1- 1]: hardware dependent
 38: [ 1- 2]: hardware dependent
 39: [ 1- 3]: hardware dependent
 51: [ 1- 3]: digital audio playback
 55: [ 1- 7]: digital audio playback
 56: [ 1- 8]: digital audio playback
 57: [ 1- 9]: digital audio playback

Using any of:

aplay -D hw:1,3 test.wav
aplay -D hw:1,7 test.wav
aplay -D hw:1,8 test.wav
aplay -D hw:1,9 test.wav
aplay -D hdmi:CARD=NVidia test.wav

does not result in any sound on my TV (where I have verified that
other HDMI devices can play audio on the same HDMI port). "aplay -D
hw:0,0 test.wav" will play audio fine through the front analog jack.

Any ideas?

Thanks
//Petter