"cannot open, audio device busy" when running 2 apps which use ALSA on mixer-less device

Hi everybody,

I have a 4 input / 4 output USB audio card (Native Instruments
Audio4DJ). This audio card does not provide a mixer device.

I only intend to use one pair of speakers, so only 2 outputs are
interesting for me (else I will use JACK).

My ~/.asoundrc as it is now is here http://pastebin.com/8uG7R6A8

As you can see I have 2 stereo devices setup, Audio4DJ_A for channels
1/2 and Audio4DJ_B for channels 3/4. The combined device named
Audio4DJ is for JACK use. I have added
ctl.!default Audio4DJ_A
pcm.!default Audio4DJ_A
to the end to try to make it work with alsa apps by default. However,
while the first app works correclty, the second I try to open
complains about "cannot open, audio device in use".

My understanding of ALSA is pretty slim but what I think I need to do
is to create a mixer device for Audio4DJ_A (or equivalent) and make it
default. I have a udev script which runs when I connect the Audio4DJ
so that it puts the ~/.asoundrc in place when it connects and deletes
it when it gets disconnected, so that I can use my onboard audio
device when it is disconnected.

The Audio4DJ USB card is device 1, while my onboard audio is device 0.
I have this set up in /etc/modules.conf so that when I boot up my
computer the USB takes does not become card 0 (which is bad because at
some point I will unplug it and I will have no sound because only card
1 remains).

Can anyone please help me tweak my ~/.asoundrc or give any advice whatsoever?

Regards,
Pedro