How to set the default frequency in Alsa.

Hi

I have a system running Ubuntu 9.10/xbmc and want to stream bit-perfect
audio out of the SPDIF port. This I can do nicely and the system sees
44.1kHz when audio is being output. When audio stops being output, the
system defaults to 48kHz and this causes a click as the DAC switches
over. In fact, I managed to destroy a pair of tweeters with this click
the other day (and they are expensive!!).

I also watch movies using xbmc and the audio in those is generally
48kHz, but they are played end to end and not normally as loudly, so I'd
prefer the default to be 44.1 and to switch to 48kHz when necessary. If
I put a rate command in the asound.conf file, that will force a
particular rate - I don't want to do that, just change the default
frequency. Is there a way to set the default frequency to 44.1k?

TIA

Andy