MIDI I/O not working, ice1712

Hello,

I am using ubuntu studio 9.10 (kernel 2.6.31-9-rt) and an M-Audio Delta 1010 PCI sound card, and trying to get MIDI inputs and outputs to work on this sound card. This card uses the alsa snd-ice1712 driver.

I have Jack installed and working. MIDI signals from virtual keyboard or a MIDI player can be routed to software synths, and the synths' audio can be played back through the outputs of the delta 1010. Audio is working from any jack-compatible audio player also.

I can use a MIDI sequencer (e.g. rosegarden or qtractor) to record MIDI from virtual keyboard, with jack handling the routing.

But, no matter how I configure the connections in jack, I can't get any signals from the "MIDI In" port on the sound card.

For example:
I start qjackctl, then I start qtractor (MIDI sequencer).
Under the qjackctl "connections" window, under the 'ALSA' tab, I see...

Readable Clients / Output Ports:
> 20:M Audio Delta 1010
   > 0:M audio Delta 1010 MIDI
> 129:Qtractor
   > 0:Master

In Writable Clients / Input Ports...
> 20: M Audio Delta 1010
    > 0:M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI
> 129:Qtractor
    > 0:Master

I connect the output port "0:M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI" to the Qtractor input port "0:Master"

I also start up Virtual Keyboard, and connect it to "0:Master", just to make sure 0:Master is listening.

Now, I go into Qtractor and hit record. I click keys on the virtual keyboard, and MIDI data shows up in the master track in Qtractor, so it is listening. Now, I push keys on my keyboard, with MIDI out cable from the keyboard going to MIDI in on the delta 1010, and nothing shows up.

Does anybody have some thoughts on how to fix this? Where is the disconnect between the delta 1010 and qtractor? I am concerned also that the "MIDI In" LED on the front panel of the Delta 1010 never blinks. There must be some basic ALSA configuration that needs to be done to activate and use these MIDI ports, or something. I've been trying to figure it out for weeks now...

Thanks for reading.